Friday, March 28, 2014

Five Fine Fish-Free Fridays – Volume 1

Oh, I LOVE alliterations – always, anywhere and also anywhere and anytime . . .  amen!

Today, it is Friday March 28th, 2014. Yes, it is Lent – the time of year when so many people change their eating habits away from pork, beef, chicken and other meats – to FISH.

In the US, just about every Catholic parish and Knights of Columbus Council hosts a ‘Fish Fry’ on each Friday of Lent – in accord with the need to adhere to Abstinence obligations. Sure, the Lutherans, other denominations and even secular organizations such as the American Legion and the VFW also join in. Why not? Either they feel a need to ‘cash in’ on the mass (pun not intended) of Catholics’ penitence – or maybe they just feel it a charitable deed to provide piscivorous pieces to humble hungry hordes.

If you share my thinking, fish means COD (just like they used to have in the old Fish ‘n’ Chip Shops when I lived in the UK – or like they have at ‘Long John Silvers’ in the US) – and ONLY cod! Well, maybe hake. It excludes varieties such as herrings, tuna, salmon – they all make me run for a clothes-peg or to light an incense burner!  Sea-food is also ‘not on’ – I get no pleasure from crab, lobster or shrimp (though I LOVE the hot sauce that comes with them at the ‘Fish Fry’) and cannot even look at clams, mussels, octopus, squid, etc. No! It is COD – or nothing for me!  So – what IS there outside of fish – whilst abstaining from meat?  Well, I intend to propose recipes for FIVE FINE FISH FREE FRIDAYS during this Lenten season. 

Perhaps I should have started this blog 3 weeks ago – on the first Friday of Lent, but then I’d two Friday’s left over by Good Friday. Alternatively, if I only post once a week, I will not get FIVE in by Good Friday!  What can I say?  I’ll simply start with one and trot out four more as the inspiration flows to me. With a bit of luck, I’ll get all FIVE to you in time to have a variety between today and April 18th.

My first FISH FREE dish, though meat-free, is like that ‘horse in the desert’ - with no name. Maybe you can provide one.

Ingredients:

1 small very ripe (brown skin) mashed banana
1 vegan-burger – typically it will be tofu or soy-bean
1 cob of yellow corn – cut in two
1 cup of unsweetened, black tea



You can add other items or toppings to your taste. I simply sprinkled a little ground ginger on the banana, dabbed fat-free cream cheese on the corn and tossed a few pieces of cilantro on the burger and the banana.

Nutrition facts:

Calories: 290cal (about 1,160 kJ for those in the UK)
Calories from fat: 9
Carbohydrates: 58g
Fiber: 8g
Total fat: 1.5g
Saturated fat: <1g
Protein: 21g
Sodium: 315mg
Potassium: 1,080mg

Cholesterol: 3g

Enjoy - see you next Friday - or before! 

No comments:

Post a Comment