Monday, March 31, 2014

Five Fine Fish-Free Fridays - Volume 2

Perhaps, at least for contextual reasons, you should glance at Volume 1 first – here’s the link: 


Let me first address each of the components in today’s meal – which is also ‘sans name’.  

The genesis of one element of this recipe was pre-LENT-en, in its timing and intent. It was based on a search for another food that would provide both protein and fiber whilst avoiding the fats and carbohydrates that may otherwise accompany ‘more traditional’ foods. So, with no pun intended, I have to reveal that I was lead to LENT-ils!  

Though I do not ascribe to (but also do not oppose) a vegan diet, I have, of late, taken to avoidance of eggs – principally because of their cholesterol content. In fact, the ‘egg-beater’ substitute that I now use, would not pass the vegan standard; it is made from egg-whites (not to mention that I use 'real' milk too). I tried scrambled tofu, scrambled egg-whites, various other egg-substitutes, but none looked ‘right’- too white; I like that yellow!  

I have forgotten why I switched off from other whole-wheat or whole-grain breads in favor of rye breads, but it has nothing to do with Judaism!

We have all heard the expression – ‘An apple a day keeps the doctor way’, right?  I’ve got news for you: doctors quit making house-calls decades ago! Well, they do provide fiber – among other things. Thought it is a L-O-N-G time since I was in school, I am pretty sure my memory serves me well in saying I also never took one to secure favor with a teacher.

Enough banter; on with the dish and the preparation:

Ingredients:

1/3 cup 'prepared (see below) lentils' – drained 
3 ounces ‘egg-beater’ - scrambled with 1 ounce of low-fat milk
1 slice rye bread - toasted
1 small apple – sliced

Preparation (of lentils)

Soak about 1 ½ cups of ‘Nav Dhan (9 Bean Mix)’ overnight.



Sautee ½ a small onion with 1 tsp of a ginger and garlic paste until the onion turns golden. Drain the lentils then add them to the sautee-mix, along with 1 tsp of cumin powder. Optional, for color and spiciness: add ½ tsp of turmeric and ½ tsp of cayenne pepper. Sautee for 3 minutes then add 2 ½ cup of warm water. Bring to boil then simmer for 30 minutes. Set aside for future use.   

Plate the various ingredients – add a sprinkle of black pepper on the ‘egg’ - and enjoy!



Nutritional facts:

Calories: 395 (about 1,600 kJ for those in the UK)
Calories from fat: 22
Carbohydrates: 72g
Fiber: 13g
Total fat: 1g
Saturated fat: <1g
Protein: 23g
Sodium: 370mg
Potassium: 375mg
Cholesterol: 2g



No comments:

Post a Comment